Tuesday, January 22, 2008



To my Dear Sister, Patsy,

This is great! The perfect chance for me to say a few things without interruption. Nor very often a person gets that kind of opportunity.

I think I'll start by remembering a few things in our childhood. There is enough of an age difference that we didn't do much together, but...one of the fondest memories I have of you and Joanne is when we slept in the same bedroom. I slept on the cot in the corner of the room and you an Joanne got the double bed. (These days it would be a miracle to get 2 girls to share the same bed. It's kind of funny when you think about it) I mean it' funny that girls wouldn't share a bed. I've tried to get a couple of my girls to share a bed when we've had a lot of company, but I might as well have asked them to jump over the moon. There is no way that was going to happen. Back to the story. I remember times when I would have a bad dream, I would wake up and crawl in between you and Joanne and sleep the rest of the night with both of you. Neither of you ever complained about that. At least I don't remember you ever complaining.

Another thing I remember, slightly is when you and Joanne dressed up to go to the dance together. You were not asked out for the dance and you wanted to go anyway so you dressed up as the boy and Joanne was the girl and you went together. I don't remember much, just that you were getting ready. You've told the rest of the story and I just love that story. It's the best! How you were able to trick your classmates. They didn't know who you were for the longest time. Funny story! Kind of like the one where recently you were asked by another ward in Shelley to come disguised and see how many people would come up to you and talk to you. That is another great lesson learned.

Other things I remember generally are the time we made a snowman for everyone of us in the family. We made a daddy snowman, a mommy snowman and one for all our brothers and sisters. Mine was the smallest snowman. Do we have a picture of that somewhere? Which one of the photo albums is that one in?

I also remember when you and Joanne would make me dry the silverware. These days we don't even bother, but you always made me do that job. And the times when you were tending me and would tell me scary stories and I would be totally scared to death. Why did you like to scare me like that? Maybe that goes with the territory of being the youngest.

There are many other childhood memories we could talk about, and maybe sometime we can do that. But I want to express my feelings for you. I want to thank you for being a support to me in all my difficult times. When I was on the school board, you were always giving me counsel and would lend a listening ear and you always had great advice for me. You always seemed to validate my feelings and then help to lift me up just a little higher. You'll never know just how much that helped me make it through those times. Thank you for being in the court room that dreadful day and just bolster me up. That meant so much to me. I love all the times we've had to talk on the phone and do things together. All the great ideas we've shared.

I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have you as my sister. I really feel sorry for all the other families that don't have a sister like you. You are always a good example to me. I don't think I could ever measure up to you, but it's not a bad thing to try. You've taught me to knit, camp, make apple juice, shared scrapbook ideas, etc,etc,etc. Truthfully, I really miss you. Your heart is so full of compassion for others and of goodness and of love. Thank you for being there for me when I've needed to talk.

I'm really not the best at writing things down, but I hope you feel the sincerity in my expressions. I'm a little slow of speech and have a hard time doing things like this, but I do really want you to know I love you so very much. You will always have a spot in my heart. I love you!

Lynette

No comments: